Window shades that hang flat over a window and fold up in accordion-like fashion are called Roman shades. Roman shades are either made of fabric or woven wood. They are easy to use and, depending on the weight of the material, can be very efficient in insulation as well as in keeping glare out of a room.
Roman shades come in several styles.
- The most traditional roman shades, the folded roman shades, have evenly spaced overlapping folds.
- Soft Roman shades have soft overlapping folds.
- Flat roman shades are so called because they do not have horizontal seams and thus have no bumpy seam marks. - The balloon Roman shade has box pleats on top and flowing balloon shaped folds below. These come in light filtering or room darkening variations.
- Light filtering Roman shades screen some sunlight but will not block out all light from entering a room.
- Room darkening Roman shades not only block out a greater amount of sunlight, they are also very effective in insulating a room.